Tuesday 28 July 2015

Football addict - Part 2: Selby 0 Hull City XI 3



While some are fortunate enough to be getting their summer football fix in Austria at the moment watching what is left of our first team battling to dull nil-nil draws – I had to get mine at the slightly rougher surroundings of The Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium, Selby.



The ground is at the bottom of a street with the entrance next to what appears to be a scrapyard/second hand kayak store. There is a covered stand at one end, a bar with benched seating outside along one side and three small changing rooms at the other. It’s all a bit untidy, just like the pitch but it can be forgiven when it features a portakabin called “Shabba’s vintage programme shop”.

The ground is pretty well hidden. My parents have lived around the corner for the last three years and I didn’t even know it was there. Three balls went missing over the fence in the first half – one in a school, one in a garden and one into the leisure centre car park.

The leisure centre was rebuilt last year. They held a competition to rename it and I saw a local newspaper clipping announcing the winner as so-and-so of somewhere who had ingeniously suggested “Selby Leisure Centre”.

Hull City XI: Bukran; Akbas, Tymon (Bowen), Aimson, Rodgers; Tombides, Hinchliffe, Rodgerson (McKenzie), Clark; Dunkerly, Kelleoy.

The line-up wasn’t overly familiar and featured several lads who are either U18 or new to the U21 squad with Will Aimson and Max Clark looking after them.

Aimson, who broke his leg while on loan at Tranmere last season, has looked clumsy when I’ve seen him previously but lead manfully from the back and headed everything. He showed really nice touches coming out of defence too.

It was the first time I’ve seen Taylor Tombides. The Aussie was released by West Ham last season and is the younger brother of former Hammer Dylan Tombides who died tragically after a battle with cancer last year. Taylor has pace to burn and runs well with the ball but gives possession away easily at times. He was unlucky not to score twice in the first half when he closed down the goalkeeper the first time and then a defender but couldn’t convert.

The stand out performer was Max Clark. Long before he cemented himself as the match winner, he impressed with a dominant midfield performance. He obviously thrived on the responsibility of looking after the young players and stood up to the rough style of the hosts who fancied intimidating the young Tigers. Clark took responsibility for the ball, moved easily through midfield and passed the ball well. He knows how the game works and lead others through it.

All of the youngsters stood up for themselves much better than they did the last time I saw them at Frickley but they laboured through the game, in truth. The opposition were very limited - particularly after a host of subs.

Max Clark opened the scoring mid-way through the second half when he drove at their defence, beat two men and lashed a left-footed shot across the keeper – who didn’t even move [0-1]. Jarrod Bowen was unlucky not to add a second after a really classy run but Taylor Tombides then did so with a run down the right and a scruffy finish beyond the keeper [0-2].

With practically the last kick of the game, Max Clark put the icing on the cake when he exchanged passes with Robbie McKenzie and curled a beauty from 25 yards into the far top corner [0-3]. I’d say it was worth the price of admission alone but it was only a fiver to get in and it was much better than that!

I enjoyed the trip to another quirky, scruffy little ground that I hadn’t been to before. The game was a physical test for the youngsters but they were rarely in trouble. I wondered before the game how much of the experience is for the physical test and how much is about “look where you’ll end up playing every week if you don’t apply yourself”.

The annual trip to Winterton wasn’t on the pre-season calendar this year, sadly. I did wonder if it was due to the dip in quality of their side in recent years. After tonight, I don’t think that can be the reason at all.

13 comments:

  1. My name is Jane Wembli Josh and i live in the USA California and life is worth living right now for me and my family and all this is because of one man sent by GOD to help me and my family, i once had a life filled with sorrow because my first SON needed a kidney transplant and all our savings were going towards his medications and this normally leaves us with no money to pay our bills or even put enough food on our table and our rent was due and no funds to pay these bills and life felt so unfair to me and every night my wife will cry herself to sleep every night until one day, i was browsing through yahoo answers and i saw a striking advert of a man that gives out personal loans and that the offer is opened to all and i have heard so many things about internet scams but at this point of my life, i was very desperate and ready to take any risk and at the end of the day, i applied for this loan and from one step to another, i got my loan within 12 hours through bank transfer and you know, it was all like a dream and i called Rev. Fr. Kevin Doran A Man who is the GOD sent lender i found and said, i have received my loan and he smiled stating that to GOD be the glory and i was so shocked as i have never ever seen anyone with such a GOD fearing and kind heart and today, i am the happiest man on earth because by GOD’S grace, my SON kidney transplant was successful and today he is healthy, i and my family are living very comfortable and happy and if you are in my former situation or in serious and legitimate need of a loan, you can reach this GOD sent lender via consumerloanfirm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! เว็บพนันบอล ฝากขั้นต่ํา100

    ReplyDelete
  3. After examine a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I really like your method of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark web site listing and will likely be checking again soon. Pls take a look at my web page as properly and let me know what you think. check over here

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know there are bad actors out there, and while I can not speculate about their motives, we consider the use of 2-SV is a critical security measure that sellers must enable and keep in their arsenal without even waiting until June 30th when it will become a requirement." In case you haven't enabled 2-SV on your Seller Central account yet, go to the Help & Client Service page on the Amazon site and follow the measures. Some sellers say the sign-up process was speedy and simple, but to the others it was nightmarish. Your experience might be different and worth discussing. Multichannel marketing is the quickest route to achieve your clients, so don't be left behind. Understanding provides tutorials on Magento, M2E Guru, Magmi along with other eCommerce tools that will allow you to sell and earn more about Amazon, eBay, and your own site.
    วิธีแทงบอล

    ReplyDelete
  5. online football courses I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its as if you had a great grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to include your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from more than one angle. เว็บแทงบอล แนะนํา

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog and data is excellent and informative as well เว็บแทงบอล

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful article, Given so much info in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, and keep on sharing more ... good luck. เว็บแทงบอล แนะนํา

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good blog always comes-up with new and exciting information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one เว็บแทงบอล ที่ดีที่สุด

    ReplyDelete
  11. I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles. เว็บแทงบอล ที่ดีที่สุด

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you... เว็บแทงบอล แนะนํา

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist. I agree with your Blog and I will be back to inspect it more in the future so please keep up your act. เว็บแทงบอล แนะนํา

    ReplyDelete

Hull City 3 QPR 0: No dramas as The Tigers finally win at home

I don’t only bother with a match report when City win but it is a far more motivating and enjoyable to write about a victory which is why th...